text link

Forum rules
janfrank

text link

Post by janfrank » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:32 am

I can make links to other pages/places using Link objects, but I would like to make links from the text in a Label object. I have tried the text editor using the built-in "address" tag, I've tried using the built-in "code" tag, with the <a href="url">link</a> and without - I just simply cannot get it to work. I can, of course, write the whole text in HTML using the built-in HTML object, and add the <a href="url">link</a> tag, but it seems a rather heavy-handed approach. Any ideas?

reuterr

Re: text link

Post by reuterr » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:00 pm

Hi there,
yep, that is a minor disadvantage....

(the picture shown here was not correct, see next post, so I removed it.)

However, if I'm dealing with a lot of text perhaps with pictures and links and whatever, I'm creating that with WORD, store it as a website (html-document) and have it displayed in an iframe. As to my experience that's the easiest and fastest way of dealing with more comprehensive text objects anyways.

Regards
Last edited by reuterr on Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

janfrank

Post by janfrank » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:30 pm

Thanks very much for the tip. It was the crossed-out lines in the Normal and Test view which stopped me trying it out in the Browser view. However, your version is not entirely correct, since any and all text after the tag <A xxxxxxxxx /A> closes will be underlined and in blue. The actual format should be something like

<a href="http://www.w3schools.com/">Visit W3Schools</a> and then we can

where the phrase "Visit W3Schools" is blue and underlined, and the normal black text continues after the /a>.

Yes, I agree that writing the text in a word processor with all the formatting one requires and then importing it might be a better trick if you just want to get the job done, but I was trying to keep all the fiddling within the program.

Anyway, nice one.

reuterr

Post by reuterr » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:41 pm

Yeah, I just figured that out.
Thanks for the correction.
TextLink.JPG
Maybe there's something else what could be done.....
Sorry for that - so fiddling continues. ;)
There's another thing you can do, though: Either inserting "blanks" in the text-lines leaving space for extra links if you wanna use their text-edit field.
Or you just move "invisible" links over the text-label, by unchecking auto size checkboxes and erasing any text.
There's only one thing you should pay attention on: As soon as you use any coding such as bold text, italic text or whatever there is a slight discrepancy in the letter size between the editor and any browser. So you might end up readjusting the links positions, which can be a drag. And once you have your text label set to variable so it auto-adjusts to the browser window it will be screwed up anyway. But you can store your text-label as a pic(jpg or png). Then you don't have to deal with link readjustments. Depending on the content, that's bad news for spiders, which is not always considered an advantage....
Else, no divine inspiration at all...but hey, it's actually not more of a hassle than setting hyperlinks in WORD, it just looks funny in the editor. Can't win 'em all, can you.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

janfrank

Post by janfrank » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:15 am

Was messing around a bit, once I got it into my head that crossed-out lines in the Normal and Test mode don't mean that in the Browser mode you will get crossed lines, and I discovered that you can use all the regular tags of HTML - to great effect. It just makes testing the look of the web page a little slower. I agree with you that writing the piece in Word (or whatever) and then importing it is a valid option, but I was just trying to see how much I could get done while staying within the DFM2HTML program.

Return to “English Forum”