Generated code incorrect? Guide.dfm

Post by pnguine » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:32 pm

I'm following guide.dfm.
2 links
link 1 "Link to page" - Page1
link 2 "Link to page" - Page2

Generated code from view source:

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/loose.dtd">
<html>
  <head>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="dfm2html.css"/>
  </head>
  <body onload="preload()" vlink="#0000FF" class="index_nm" id="index">
    <script type="text/javascript" src="dfm2html.js"></script>
    <div noframe="true" class="Page2_nm" id="Page2" style="width:100px; height:1000px; position:absolute; overflow:hidden; top:24px; left:32px; "></div>
    <a href="index.html" id="Link1" style="position:absolute; top:48px; left:168px; ">Link1</a>

<a href="Page2.html" id="Link2" style="position:absolute; top:80px; left:184px; ">Link2</a>
    <script type="text/javascript">dhtml();</script>
  </body>
</html>
Link1 points to "index.html"
Link2 points to "Page2.html"

Link1 should point to Page1.html

reuterr

Re: Generated code incorrect? Guide.dfm

Post by reuterr » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:54 am

Hi there,
it seems you're also - Lord knows why -, like the member tibfromhu, trying to mess with the generated html-code.......
In THIS editor page1- or whatever the 1st page should be named by you in the dfm-document - is ALWAYS generated as "index.html", since THAT is what the browsers are looking for in any document to be shown, no matter if it's a photoshow or a standalone contact form or catalog or whatever.
They all have to have an "index.html" to be opened in the first place.
I hope this answers your question.
Cheers

pnguine

Post by pnguine » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:41 pm

Well not really - I'm curious. :geek: I understand what you're saying about an index page but it looks as if when the site is being built there is the root object that's called "index", then to that we add the separate objects page1 and page2 (so at this point we should have 3 distinct objects - index, page1 and page2). Then we point a link to page1 and another to page2 but when the code is generated "index" gets substituted for page1 but page2 stays as page2. Is "page1" and "index" the same thing internally and will they always (as in constructing other sites) be the same thing? If so then the terminology is confusing. Why not (in the app's code) just treat the instance of page2 as page1 so then the "logical progression" would look more logical (index -> page1 -> page2 -> etc instead of index -> page2 -> page3 -> and what happened to my page1!?)? If I wanted to write my site code in, say, EditPlus, there would be nothing stopping me from having an index AND a page1 (and a page2 and a page3 ...). As far as "messing with" the generated code you will have to expect that a lot of us will - why do you think Dreamweaver et. al. have "code view" buttons prominently displayed in them? What if no one ever looked into FrontPage code?

Anyway, that's just a minor detail - I think the app looks very interesting and with a little more development and 'polishing' I'm sure Adobe will be knocking on someone's door with an offer.

reuterr

Post by reuterr » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:25 am

Hi there,
well, as you might have recognised DFM2HTML is slightly different from other editors.
So what someone probably has learned by playing with other programs is kind of obsolete, I think.
It's a totally different approach to creating websites. To come back to your objection, the index as it is appearing while working with the editor is not what becomes the "index.html" or "index.php" after publishing. The 1st page to be displayed is generated as "index.html" or"-php" which makes sense to me.
If someone knows and is capable of altering html code he/she might be too educated - so to say - for this genius little tool anyway.
There's quite a lot what can be done with it and for beginners (html-dummies, like me) it's much easier to handle and getting to reasonable results than any other vehicle including CMS-stuff, don't you think?
I love it and - hey - it's freeware!!!!!!
All the best.

pnguine

Post by pnguine » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:10 pm

Well ,I've studied some programming and have a 'certificate' in Internet Programming but have never done it professionally. I've been playing with computers since Dos3.2. In my humble opinion and limited experience with both writing code and DFM2HTML this program does look like it might qualify in the 'brilliant' category. I'm only working through the handbook that was mentioned but I'm impressed by what I see. The author has obviously put a lot of thought and effort into it and the object oriented approach seems so logical it's a wonder no one else has done it before. The javascript routines alone would have taken me years to write and look very comprehensive. The depth of detail and scope in the menus is an indication that the author is well versed in HTML/CSS, not to mention the fact that it is CSS based! For people who are more experienced it might be a useful rapid application development tool where they could put together the general outline of a site in DFM2HTML and then tweak the generated code to fine tune the final product.

I hope that in the future we would see a Linux version and a choice of doctypes such as XHTML compliance :) . And I wonder how difficult it would be to include modules for database connectivity (maybe they are already there somewhere) A lot of database driven stuff has no need for fancy graphics or inner glowing, birds eye blue, pill buttons so this app might lend itself really well to that kind of web application.

(I'm at work - I have to stop babbling now.)

Return to “English Forum”