how to create a sticky footer to accomodate dynamic content?

Forum rules
reuterr

Re: how to create a sticky footer to accomodate dynamic cont

Post by reuterr » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:28 am

Hi Giorgio,
I understand your approach of offering the possibility to editing data from back end...
I still recall when you - some time ago - came up with that snippetmaster thing...
I think the vast majority of "dfm2html afficionados" :) including myself is not very confident, if it comes to coding or even inserting style attributs in the "additional html attributes" field.
Maybe you find the time to offer an in-depth workshop including all the scripts needed to achieve such a solution. I think that would be great and much appreciated because of the sometimes missed possibilities like you mentioned and you have available in CMS or a WordPress template.
A doubt: but if the "main panel" is in position left=30 and has width = 1204; if i use a larger screen resolution will always be centered on the page?
That depends on whether or not you have checked all "keep distance constant to" positions. If so, it doesn' matter how large the displaying screen might be. All objects (except fixed size pictures) will readjust to varying screen sizes according to the defined distance settings, see my last ZIP. I think it's pretty obvious in there.
Rommel, if I understood right, has the need that the page automatically adapt his height according with his content lenght (and that footer moves below the content of the page), because he wants to edit the content using the external script "cutenews" (similar to fusion news ).
Yeah, you're right - your 2nd ZIP is what he needs. "Hi, Rommel, where are you?"

Else, keep up the great work and all the best,
Roland

giosafat

Post by giosafat » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:58 am

I think the vast majority of "dfm2html afficionados" including myself is not very confident, if it comes to coding or even inserting style attributs in the "additional html attributes" field.
I absolutely agree, as I said, it would be great if the objects "panel" and "page" had the checkbox "Auto-height" enabled, like the object "label".
Maybe it is not a simple thing, but I'll try to ask Jorge. :roll:
Alternatively we can use the "page" object with the scrollbar, even if it is not the same thing. :(
Giorgio

Rommel

Post by Rommel » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:37 pm

giosafat... reuterr...thanks... Yes what I do want is a "DYNAMIC FOOTER" that moves down when the script generates my content. I would like to avoid the use of scroll bars if possible. These are nice solutions and workarounds which I still have to try. I am really surprise that "liquid layout" is possible as well in DFM2HTML... I will try giosafat's solution one of these days when I find the time.

DFM2HTML is really a beautiful software. I love the utilization of CSS. Many WYSIWYG web design softwares generates too much graphics like for example XARA Designer Pro... It is so easy to use but I really hate it because it generates awful code and rely too much on graphics or images to achieve the design I want. The core of DFM2HTML is nearly perfect. I heard once that users were requesting the application to be turned into a Wordpress theme creator but for me personally I think that It would be better if DFM2HTML will be further developed as it is, a WYSIWYG drag and drop website creator that can handle the latest technologies of HTML5. I would love to see it one day that it can handle DYNAMIC CONTENT. I can name a few scripts that will extend the capabilities of DFM2HTML for CMS but without the ability of the application to handle dynamic content, we will have to rely always on scrollbars which I personally think is a a little bit outdated.

I do hope as well that this community will grow. Some suggestions are:
1. To have a section on the forum showcase DFM2HTML made sites
2. To have a section to share DFM2HTML made templates
3. To have a section on the forum for tips and tricks in using the application

Well, I just love DFM2HTML... I do hope that very soon I could have the time for a full time web designing job (though I still have to learn a lot...haha :lol:)

giosafat

Post by giosafat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:10 pm

I can name a few scripts that will extend the capabilities of DFM2HTML for CMS but without the ability of the application to handle dynamic content, we will have to rely always on scrollbars which I personally think is a a little bit outdated.
Yes, it would be great if we could easily manage dynamic content without using the scroll bars (or workarounds)!

reuterr

Post by reuterr » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:12 am

Hm, folks, somehow I don't dig what you are actually looking for.... :oops: :?:
Even with Giorgios solution there's a right scrollbar, right?? Could you come back here with a website URL that's designed the way you guys are talking about maybe with a little explanation in case this is not obvious right away.
Thanks alot and Cheers,
Roland

Rommel

Post by Rommel » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:32 am

Hi Roland, I'm sorry to confuse you. I do agree that these are all excellent solutions.

Aside from Cutenews, I've been fiddling around with WebYep CMS as I find it that suitable to my cms needs. What I wanted to achieve is somehow similar to this.

You can check it out at
http://webyep-demo.obdev.at/demoslot_en ... /index.php

Username: demo
Password: demo

I have noticed that when I add more content the page just simply expands and accomodate the generated content. When I delete some content, the page adjust as well. BTW, WebYep CMS can use any valid HTML webpage(s). To implement the CMS insert the php snippets to make some areas editable.

This is not a sticky footer example but somehow it is similar to what I want. How can I achieve this with DFM2HTML?

giosafat

Post by giosafat » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:31 am

Hm, folks, somehow I don't dig what you are actually looking for....
Even with Giorgios solution there's a right scrollbar, right??
Hi, Roland, we don't care about the browser scrollbar; if the page is higher than the browser window is correct to see the browser sidebar, but we don't want a sidebar inside the page (this looks like old websites that use "frames").
In my solutions, i have obtained what I wanted (no internal scrollbar) , but all the labels must have "top" position etc., it's not the best solution.
I informed Joerg Kiegeland about this need, I think it would be a very powerful improvement. :D

reuterr

Post by reuterr » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:21 am

Hi there and thanks for your replies. I guess I got it .... :idea:
@Giorgio: I've seen on this website, http://www.birrificioelissor.com/index.htmlthat snippetmaster is implemented....
BTW.: Your personal homepage looks fantastic!!! :!: :!:
If it's not asking for too much, could think of a little workshop-ZIP how this can be done within DFM2HTML.
That would really be great....
Oh, well, just asking....
All the best,
Roland

giosafat

Post by giosafat » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:51 am

I've seen on this website, http://www.birrificioelissor.com/index.htmlthat snippetmaster is implemented....
Yes, i implemented snippetmaster in different sites to offer message boards or pages editable directly from users, but it would be nice to be able to modify any page without the scroll bar will appear when content is added.
BTW.: Your personal homepage looks fantastic!!!
Thanks! (obviously made with DFM2HTML) ;)
If it's not asking for too much, could think of a little workshop-ZIP how this can be done within DFM2HTML
if you mean how to insert a slideshow, there are many ways to create it (flash, java, special software, etc ...). In the "DFM" project, simply insert an "html object" with the relative code (it depends how it was made). I don't know if I understood well.
Cheers,
Giorgio

reuterr

Post by reuterr » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:14 pm

Hi,
No, that's not what I meant. I know how to display things like slideshows, or guestbooks or so... I usually I do it by inserting iFrames....
What I - and I suppose many others - would appreciate if you could create a little workshop kind of thing especially dealing with snippetmaster.
Cheers,
Roland

Return to “English Forum”