how to create a sticky footer to accomodate dynamic content?

Forum rules
Rommel

how to create a sticky footer to accomodate dynamic content?

Post by Rommel » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:01 am

Hi reuterr...

HI, I've been easy for a while and now have the time again to do my hobby which is web designing. This thought had been bugging me for a very long time. Do you know a way to create a sticky footer? I am planning to embed a PHP script which is Cutenews. As I add more blog posts entries, the content will surely expand. I want to create a footer that will be push down as the content dynamically expands.

reuterr

Re: how to create a sticky footer to accomodate dynamic cont

Post by reuterr » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi Rommel,
download this ZIP. I hope it explains everything sufficiently.
HeaderFooter.zip
If not, come back here.
Cheerio
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

giosafat

Post by giosafat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:42 pm

Hello, I tested similar solutions (using "fusion news" - I think the best - instead of "cutenews").
The solution published by reuterr is one of the possible, but it would be great if also fit the page not showing the scroll bars.
I think for now it is not possible, is it?
thanks
Giorgio

giosafat

Post by giosafat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:08 pm

Reuterr, i think that Rommel should insert a "page control" and generate different pages inside the control, then put "page" objects inside them.
Then, inside the "page" objects, he can put the editable text ("label" object with "auto-height" or, in this case, the HTML object with the code that call the script that show the news).
"Page" objects have automatic scrollbars if their content exceed their dimension, so they can contain unlimited content, moreover he can create a menu with links to the pages of the page control.
Why did you put the label inside a panel (whose height is fixed?) Perhaps i haven't understood something.
Thanks, Giorgio

reuterr

Post by reuterr » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:51 pm

Well, I'm not quite sure if I got everything right.... :oops:
But anyways: Concerning both header/footer and hidden scrollbars here's the ZIP:
HeaderFooter.zip
Regards,
Roland
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

giosafat

Post by giosafat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:18 pm

Thanks Reuterr, now it's clearest, in fact the text must be in the "page" object (page1a and page2a) and not in the black panel (created only to generate the scrollbar).
This is what I mean. I used the editable text (using external scripts) inside a "page" object in some sites to offer a small editable showcase (with scrollbars if the content exceed) to the customer, eg.:
http://www.atelier-progettomoda.com/
http://www.lacasadeibambini.com/

However, I don't need hidden scrollbars, but it was fantastic if the whole page could fit (adapt the height) to show the whole content (not a scrollable content).
But i think this is not possible in a div-based layout, but only in a table-based layout.
Thanks a lot, I hope DFM2HTML will continue to grow, it's an excellent software.
Giorgio

giosafat

Post by giosafat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:32 pm

Reuterr, i posted an answer to Maurizio in the italian forum for the topic "Dimensionamento auto pagina web".
I think he wants a "liquid layout" and I attach the zip file here, too.
This is the solution i've found, the problem is that i can't define an height for the page, but i must scroll the content (in this case, too).
Have you got an idea to solve this?

giosafat

Post by giosafat » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:44 pm

Found a solution for LIQUID OR FIXED LAYOUT + AUTO-HEIGHT PAGE (FOR DYNAMIC CONTENT)
See attachment, it's all explained inside the project.
Giorgio

reuterr

Post by reuterr » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:51 pm

Hi Giorgio,
I like your approach to get the text floating.... Pretty clever with the style attributes.
But if I got Rommel right he always wanted the footer to be visible, without scrolling to the bottom of the page first....
I did something else only with dfm2html to have text or any other content "floating".
It doesn't serve snippetmaster but still.....What do you think?
HeaderFooter2.zip
Kind Regards,
Roland

giosafat

Post by giosafat » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:10 pm

Hi Reuterr, excellent solution for a liquid layout and footer always visible. A doubt: but if the "main panel" is in position left=30 and has width = 1204; if i use a larger screen resolution will always be centered on the page?
The need to have a liquid layout was in Mauritius on the Italian forum.
Rommel, if I understood right, has the need that the page automatically adapt his height according with his content lenght (and that footer moves below the content of the page), because he wants to edit the content using the external script "cutenews" (similar to fusion news ).
I enclose another solution to a page that adapts in height + left sidebar.
It 'a very useful thing, it would be really nice and much easier if there was the possibility of having, in DFM2HTML "panels" and "pages" the "auto-height" functionality just like the "labels" have.
This allows a DFM2HTML site integrating the functionality of a CMS! (using external scripts). Currently I can use this solution:

Return to “English Forum”