Making each page a distinct html page in directory

Forum rules
cbjarne

Making each page a distinct html page in directory

Post by cbjarne » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:39 pm

DFM2HTML is nothing short of awesome. If it doesn't have it already (I'm just learning how to use it) this product has incredible potential. This can easily become Visual Studio's PHP equivalent. I have been looking for a drop and drag HTML editor to speed up the time and efficiency and versatility of writing HTML elements with PHP code behind those elements. I'm just learning the program, but this looks like the ticket.

Forgive me but I'm going to be one of those nuts poking around in the code the program generates unless I can be convinced the program will do all that I need it to do and won't have to do that (I was really looking for an HTML writer, not necessarily a complete web page editor). Which leads to my problem. I can't get my page objects to be generated as stand alone .html files in the host directory (index.html, page1.html, page2.html...etc.). I think I'm doing everything correctly. I'm clicking on the page control object, then on the page created, and setting the title and paths, and clicking the 'One HTML page per Page object' button. But, still, everything is contained in the index.html file, not additional .html files as desired. I've compared what I'm doing to the GuideExample and can't see anything I'm not doing that I should be. Please help.

reuterr

Re: Making each page a distinct html page in directory

Post by reuterr » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:10 am

Hi,
I'm not sure if I got you right, but "One HTML page per Page object" means, once the entire website is uploaded on a server, everytime a page is selected by a link only this single page will be loaded into the browser cache.
That's to avoid these annoyingly long lasting loading times you have on so many websites loading their entire contents all at once.... which really sucks, I think.

If you're planning on creating a website consisting of several so-to-say standalone pages each of which contained in their own folder you have to - for example - create your "home- or start"-page with all the link-buttons needed (do NOT care about any specific content at this point) and then duplicate and rename this 1st page as often as you need. Page2, Page3, etc
In the page properties of these "secondary" pages you set the path where they should be stored when "publish" is pressed - in this case within the folder created after you published your very 1st ("start- or home") page, which will become/serve as your "index.html (or php) page. I would recommend leaving it all first in a local project folder unless you wanna use php-functions such as counter or contact-form.

The only tricky thing with all that is setting the link addresses properly.
Also see my post in the preceeding topic: http://www.dfm2html.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1775#p1775
There you see that my personal website http://www.ichrr.de is "constructed" exactly as described above. In the firefox-browser check out the link addresses displayed in the lower left corner when moving the cursor across them...

Maybe that's what you are looking for.

Cheers,
Roland

Return to “English Forum”